Pre-K is in the Parshall Elementary School. This school readiness program is offered by the Parshall School District with the intention of providing families of children a high quality, developmentally appropriate, and nurturing early childhood experience intended to help all children be kindergarten-ready. The district is committed to the success of all students and is proud to be offering this program free of charge!
The Pre-K is recognized by the state as a state-certified preschool and follows ND Century Code CHAPTER 15.1-37. Pre-K is taught by individuals who are licensed to teach in early childhood education by the education standards and practices board or approved to teach in early childhood education by the education standards and practices board.
During the first years of life – from birth to age five, the intellectual and physical development of children is unparalleled and the desire to learn and to know will never be more intense.
In Pre-K, we believe…
- …that the development of young children is largely influenced by the degree of intellectual, physical, emotional, and social stimulation in their environment.
- …that children learn through play, exploration, hands-on observation, and positive feedback from the adults who influence them which are primarily their parents and teachers.
- …in a safe, happy, clean, organized atmosphere, children learn at their own pace from everything they see, hear, touch, taste, and smell.
- …that unhurried, non-threatening, non-competitive, and non-judgmental learning experiences and positive affirmation are the most effective methods for the growth and development of young children.
- …that learning cannot be forced and that the comparison of individual children to a “standard of normalcy” is non-productive except to detect genetic or acquired abnormalities or special needs that may require attention.
- …that a child who experiences “success will see himself/herself as competent and that enhanced self-esteem increases the desire to learn.
Therefore, the Pre-K is committed to providing every child…
- …with an atmosphere rich in experiences, concepts, ideas, and skills by providing opportunities each day to play and explore in a variety of developmentally appropriate centers.
- … with skilled, professionals, and caring adults who will participate with the children in the learning process throughout the entire day.
- …with opportunities for success enabling the child to develop a strong self of self-esteem and self-worth,
- …with positive and loving direction to achieve self-discipline and develop appropriate social skills.
- …with exciting and multifaceted educational experiences, including an introduction to verbal communication skills including pre-reading and writing skills, as the logical steps in developing communication skills.
- …with opportunities for exposure to computer programs to be in synchronization with the technology of today and tomorrow
The Pre-K instruction follows the ND Pre-K Content and Learning Standards. The official curriculum used is Curiosity Corner by SuccessForAll that aligns with the elementary school’s curriculum.
Activities will be planned to further children’s development in nine key areas:
- Approaches to Play & Learning
- Language & Literacy
- Science/Problem Solving
- Social Studies
- Social-Emotional Development
- Mathematics and Logical Thinking
- Physical Development
- Expressive Arts & Creative Thinking
The assessment tool that is used is Brigance and AimsWeb. Individual progress will be communicated to families throughout the semester and at parent-teacher conferences.
Pre-K follows the elementary school schedule; Monday-Friday 8:10-3:10 pm. We also follow the district calendar and holidays which can be found on the Parshall School District website. https://www.parshall.k12.nd.us/district/calendar/
SAFETY IS TOP PRIORITY
Your child’s safety is of the utmost importance to us. We participate in regular safety drills, including fire, tornado, and intruder drills. In the case of significant snowfall, severe cold, or other instances classes may be canceled. Cancellations will be posted on the district website, local television channels, and the District’s Facebook page. You will also receive an all-call from the district. Direct communication from a parent/guardian will be needed before a child can be released to anyone other than the parent/guardian.
CUSTOMIZATION TO MEET EVERY CHILD’S NEEDS
We understand each child is unique. In Pre-K we individualize each child’s experience to meet their needs by:
- Enhancing the curriculum in order to engage and challenge children at their own pace
- Providing inclusion opportunities for children with special needs and access to Special Education.
- Offering a variety of ways to learn throughout the day including, but not limited to, large group, small group, individual lessons, hands-on, and outdoor learning opportunities.
ELIGIBILITY AND TUITION
Pre-K accepts children who turn four years old on or before July 31st of the academic year and up to five years old as long as the child is not enrolled in Kindergarten. Please contact the elementary school to register your child.
We are committed to making sure all children are ready for kindergarten and are pleased to offer this program free of charge to our community.